Tortures at the temple of a benevolent god


There is a temple in Patan, Nepal, with difficult-to-pronounce name Rato Machhendranath. The temple is dedicated to Machhendra, the god of rain and harvest who for unknown to me reason happened to have a red skin ("Rato" meaning "red"). Interestingly, this Hindu Machhendra revered by Buddhists as Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara so the temple looks like Hindu-Buddhist - with many-armed demons on the friezes of the temple and with Buddhist rotating prayer drums around the perimeter of the building.
The temple is a typical example of Nepalese architecture, it is three-storied pagoda. It was built back in 1673.


At the entrance, as usually, there are two guards, in this case they are lions. What I had somehow not noticed before, that the guards are always male and female. Only in this temple I noticed it for the first time. Inside the temple there is a statue of Avalokitesvara-Machhendra, red, in a brocade dress and ornaments.
As always, I began to study the beams of the temple, which traditionally are decorated with various scenes, usually domestic or erotic. To my surprise, here I saw a very different scenes - of violence and tortures.


Some made a really terrible impression on me. I asked about it the man who worked in the temple. It turns out, these scenes depict the suffering of sinners in hell. I see ... The only thing that remained unclear, why particularly this temple was chosen for these gruesome scenes because actually Machhendra is considered to be a benevolent, generous god, certainly not evil and not bloodthirsty.